Sunday, November 04, 2007

Hello, My Name is Inigo Montoya

Since I have re-purposed this blog, it may be helpful to get a bit of background on me. It may provide some important context as to what will be going on.

I'm an IT Manager at a larger retailer based in Chicago and have decided it's time to go back to school and finish my degree. I quit school the first time for a variety of reasons. The burdens of paying my way through college with a full time job and not really having any clue what it was that I wanted to do were probably the most important.

If I had known then what I know now - that knowing what you wanted to do wasn't important - I probably would have stuck it out. I was under the mistaken assumption that the degree actually mattered, in reality it's only completing the degree that matters.

Either way, I haven't really regretted making that choice - I have had a pretty successful, so at worst it has only been a minor setback. I've reached the point in my career, though, where the lack of a piece of paper may end up closing some doors. So I decided to finish.

I settled on DePaul for three main reasons. First, it's close and they offer both online and onsite classes. I probably won't go for the online courses, but I like having the option. Second, the program is geared specifically for adult students. It's an accelerated program and they offer credit for life-experience (more on that in another post). And finally, DePaul has a much better reputation than many of the other alternatives in the area.

So my hectic life is about to get much more hectic. I'm a new manager that is taking ownership of a somewhat dysfunctional team. I have two lovely girls at home (6 and 9, there picture is above) and I'm a chronic procrastinator. (Probably part of the reason I'm blogging again, gives me something to do besides homework.) And somehow, amidst all of this I need to finish a degree, thankfully I should be more than half done.

It should be interesting, at the very least.

No comments:

Post a Comment