Thursday, January 19, 2006

Simple Minds, Simple Pleasures


I’m not sure what it says about me, but I really get a kick out of comedy that you really aren’t supposed to get. My Name Is Earl has tickled my funny bone twice with such antics.

The first is a situation where one character hurls what seems to be an epitaph in Spanish at her antagonist, to which the insultee responds “I’m sorry, I don’t speak maid.” An irreverent style of comedy sure, it’s easy to see how it would be funnier when you realize that the maid said:

I want to take this moment to thank our Latino audience for watching. And for those of you who can understand me but who are not Latino, I want to commend you for learning a second language.

The second bit was even better. The cast of characters weasel their way into getting hired at a company to pull a heist – you cut to a scene that shows each of the characters hard at work with Darnell (Eddie Steeples) busy pushing a cart a la The Rubberband Man commercial from Office Max.

It doesn’t take much to amuse me.

No comments:

Post a Comment