Friday, January 06, 2006

Google Is Making Me Lazy

Google is really making me lazy.  I wanted to write a short dig on Arnold and his attempt to buy an election with public funds, so instead of searching through news headlines attempting to find a story, I just Googled it.

Of course, I had absolutely no idea how to spell the man’s last name so I just entered – schwartzenager – and hit Enter.  Not only did Google recognize my mistake – “Did you mean: Schwarzenegger?” – it provided a friendly link to the search so I wouldn’t be given an opportunity to butcher the spelling yet again.  Perhaps it saves Google CPU cycles by preventing stupid people from repeatedly searching for an incorrectly spelled search.

The truly sad thing is that schwartzenager returned over 500 hits.  I’m not sure which is worse – the fact that I let Google do my thinking for me or that 500 other people didn’t even care if they got it right in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment