Tuesday, September 16, 2008

On to the Next Class

I know that many of you have been sitting on the edge of your seat wondering how I fared in my econ class.  Well worry no more, I got an A.

Relieved, I know.

I start my next class today - in fact I'm sitting in the class room as I write this waiting for the prof to arrive.  The class is American Presidents.  As part of the curriculum we are required to read two biographies of two different presidents - one from the 20th century and one from prior to the 20th century.

The book I am reading now is Thomas Jefferson by R.B. Bernstein.  I haven't gotten very far into it, but I've already lost a lot of respect for the man though.  He appears to be an opportunist and a hypocrite - but maybe that is OK.

One thing that strikes me though is Madison's reluctance to add a bill of rights calling them merely a "parchment barrier" to government intrusion into citizen's rights.

Turns out he was right - though I can't imagine that not having a Bill of Rights would have improved matters any.

No comments:

Post a Comment