Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Digital Life

I’ve been predicting for almost three years that the age of media (DVD, CD, etc) is coming to an end.  Digital is the way to go – and not just for music.

Streaming video content is becoming more than adequate for most users and fairly mainstream.  Unfortunately, nothing really works together the way that it should.  In my perfect world my home would have one device that serves all of my content to any device.

This isn’t really possible today – certainly not easily – but its getting close.  This post is going to serve as an anchor for a series of posts on how I make it all work together.

Here is the scope of what I am trying to do:

Everything digital – no media and make all of the video, documents, music and pictures available from:

  • All four laptops (his, hers and 2 kids)
  • All digital music players
  • TVs
  • Speakers (inside & outside)
  • Social networks

Oh, and I want to protect the most important stuff from a home disaster and the less important stuff from physical failure.

Doesn’t sound too hard does it?

At some point, I’d like to tie in some home automation stuff too (turn off/on lights, close blinds, etc, etc).  Some kitchen automation could potentially be interesting as well.

To start with here are some of the devices/services that I am trying to make work together:

  • Tivo
  • Windows 7
  • XBox 360
  • Wii
  • PSP
  • Zune
  • SanDisk MP3
  • XBMC
  • Flickr (only one account, but multiple people need to manage)
  • Facebook (at least 3 accounts)
  • Twitter
  • Comcast voice
  • Google Voice

Did, I mention that I also wanted all of our phone numbers to kinda work together too?

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment