Thursday, November 29, 2007

It's Official

I had my admittance interview yesterday. I drove onto the Naperville campus not quite sure what to expect. We had to submit a bunch of writing exercises, some of them were self-evaluation (see my Learning Autobiography) and one was an in-class persuasive essay.

Would they criticize the writing and provide direct feedback? Would they dig into the sacrifices I was willing to make to ensure successful completion of school this time around?

I was more than a little worried about my in-class essay. The topic was "Should the US Implement a National Health Plan?" Or something very close to that. If you have ever read my blog before you know that I strongly oppose national healthcare. Very strongly.

Would this obviously liberal organization hold my, apparently, conservative viewpoints against me?

The whole process went something like this:
2 minutes going over my transfer courses. A good chunk of my previous coursework was pre-approved, though there are a couple that I will have to request exceptions for.
3 minutes asking asking if I had any questions (I had none).
2 minutes stating that I had strong writing skills, but recommended that I take college writing anyway.
3 more minutes asking if I had any questions (nope, still no questions)

I have now been officially accepted into DePaul's School for New Learning.
Yay Me!

I'm not sure why I had to go through that in person, but whatever. I am still viewing this entire exercise as something akin to a fraternity initiation anyway. It doesn't provide anything of value, but it proves you want something bad enough to endure any amount of pain and humiliation.

The good news is that about half of my competency requirements are complete. There are a couple of requirements that I should be able to take proficiency exams to meet. At the end of the day I think that I can probably complete everything in about a year and half or possibly two.

My journey begins finally begins in January. I sign up for my first (almost real) class next week.

Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment