Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Five Weeks In

I've completed five weeks of the first class in my second attempt to finish college. The good news is that DePaul uses quarters, the bad news is that homework sucks.

My original knee-jerk reaction that this first class was, essentially, a class to tell me what other classes I should take is basically correct.

Most of the homework is an exercise in completing the required forms and paperwork plus a lot of writing. I wouldn't call it a complete waste of time, but the same results could have been achieved with a weekend seminar and cost me far less than $2500, but them are the breaks I guess.

My other knee-jerk reaction, that my professor/advisor was so far left of me as to be in another time zone, while true, appears to be irrelevant at this point.

Part of me was anticipating long ranting diatribes about the evils of male hierarchy and how it has destroyed the environment and will lead to Armageddon - but that hasn't materialized. She has made some veiled political jibes, but I think the only reason that I noticed them was I wanted something to be pissed off about.

The advise that she has provided for being successful in the program appears to be well-reasoned and well-intentioned so I'll bite back my reservations and let it play out.

Probably the most important thing that I have learned so far is that when a professor asks for a 3 page paper, they mean 3 pages of double spaced writing - oops.

Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment