Saturday, February 16, 2008

Some Thoughts About School

Wow, writing papers is easier now than it used to be.
  • Blogging has taught me to spew out semi-coherent, pompous drivel with alarming speed.
  • You can find sources with ease now while sitting in your pajamas. Tools like Google Books and the various online repository of academic journals give you the ability to find the most obscure point you want to make almost trivial. It sure beats spending days searching through stacks at the library. Especially at a Big Ten university like I originally attended where searching the library meant traveling to 3 or 4 libraries across campus.
  • It's not nowhere near as much fun to procrastinate as it used to be. In the old days it was a choice between homework and partying. Now its a choice between homework and housework.
We are now at the part of the class where we are selecting the rest of our classes. I'm not kidding when I say you could have boiled this class down to a 2 day (16 hour) seminar. But then they couldn't have had $2500 of my money, so I guess it makes sense from their point of view.

Speaking of picking classes, this looks really interesting:
Chaos: the word is often used to indicate a state of utter disorder. Yet dynamical systems theory – the science of chaos – suggests that the connection between chaos and order is not a simple opposition. Chaos may, in fact, be the seed-bed for emergent order.
Guess who is teaching the class. This is a strange, strange world.

I have to somehow find immunization records. I thought I was exempt, but it turns out I am exactly eligible since this one class puts me at exactly half-time. What a pain in the ass. I don't even know where to find the stupid things.

Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment