- There was some serious cash flow from someone, presumably someone abroad.
- There was no imminent threat.
- However, the threat was real. And it seems pretty clear that it would have bypassed all existing airport security systems.
- The conspirators were radicalized by the war in Iraq, although it is impossible to say whether they would have been otherwise radicalized without it.
- They were caught through police work, not through any broad surveillance, and were under surveillance for more than a year.
Terrorists hit soft targets, the perpetrators of 9/11 used items that were legal as did the British nuts. The only way to defeat attacks on airplanes is to undercover the plots before they hatch. The rest of this nonsense merely makes life difficult for the rest of us while accomplishing nothing in realms of safety.