Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Slapping Israel's Hand

I have avoided talking about the Israeli – Hezollah crisis to date mainly because I don’t have anything to add.  Israel has the right to defend herself in whichever way she thinks is most effective.  I’m not sure that the current tact is the correct one, but that is neither here nor there.

I do know that the US’s unwavering support exacerbates the issue.  The Arab world has this perception and I don’t think that they are necessarily wrong.  Imagine my surprise when I came across this headline:

U.S. directs criticism at Israel

Wow, is the US really going to be an impartial party in the current crisis?  Not quite.

The White House said Wednesday neither Israel nor Hezbollah should escalate their month-old war, as Israel decided to widen its ground invasion in southern Lebanon.

Is that really what passes as criticism these days?  That neither party should escalate violence?  No wonder the Arab states think that we kowtow to Israel demands.  A criticism would be a directive to actually do something substantive, not a mild statement of what everyone in the world really wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment