What terrible, terrible advice; you might as well ask consumers to unplug their computers from the internet for as useful as this is.
Until an official update, patch, or more information becomes available, we recommend the following actions to help mitigate the security risks:
* Review the workarounds described in Microsoft Security Advisory 927709.
* Disable ActiveX as specified in the Securing Your Web Browser document and the Malicious Web Scripts FAQ.
* Do not follow unsolicited links.
* Review the steps described in Microsoft's document to improve the safety of your browser.
- Asking a user to read technical documents is just asinine. I don't even understand most of them and I do this full time!
- If users are following unsolicited web links in 2006 then they probably aren't reading alerts from US-CERT anyway.
- Providing users instructions on how to break their browser without providing an explanation of what the consequences are really just takes the cake.