Sunday, November 05, 2006

My World View

I seem to be taking heat for rejecting anything that doesn't meet my worldview and not negotiating and "meeting in the middle."

The truth is that I change my mind frequently and am constantly shifting my policy stances on all sorts of issues. The problem is that no one on these boards ever frames their arguments to shift my point of view because they ignore the foundation of my opinions.

That foundation can be summed up in two words"

Incentives Matter.

I am rather agnostic on all sorts of issues because I don't have enough information to form an opinion or US policy is so far removed from reality that forming an opinion is irrelevant.

Should something be done about Global Warming? Not sure, but I can tell you that all of the policy recommendations being made by the left are wrong because they ignore a simple fact - incentives matter.

Should government be providing education? Probably not, but I'm willing to concede that maybe governmetn should fund education. Public education is wrong because it ignores a simple fact - incentives matter.

Should government help the poor? I don't think its necessary, but I'm willing to concede that we, as a nation, are wealthy enough that the costs are minor. I can tell you that welfare is the wrong approach because it ignores a simple fact - incentives matter.

The list goes on and on and on. Social security is the wrong approach, immigration "reform" is the wrong policy, FDA governance is misguided, energy policy is archaic. Universal medicine is a pipe dream. All of these I view as true because they all ignore the incentives involved.

If you want to try and pursued me that X is the right approach because it shapes the incentives involved in a way that provides outcome Y.

Good intentions are all fine and good, but unless they actually achieve the desired ends then those good intentions are worthless.

No comments:

Post a Comment