Thursday, June 22, 2006

A Poor Player That Struts and Frets His Hour Upon the Stage

The man that built a career on defamation and name-calling wants to sue TNR for libel.

But I do admit being surprised by the sheer creativity of their invented attacks, such as my supposed "pay for play" scheme. Let me be crystal clear. I deny that charge completely. I have stated the sources of my income and they do not include money from people asking me to shill for anyone or anything. Problem for these writers, is that the law doesn't protect such defamation. The truth is an absolute defense to libel cases. If they have evidence for those smears, then they have nothing to fear. But if they, say, recklessly invented all manners of illegal or unethical activities by me without bothering to see if they bore any basis in truth, then they'll have plenty to worry about.
You would think that a man with a law degree would know that the burden is on him to prove malicious intent to win a libel suit, and for public figures (of which, I think Kos would qualify) the hurdle inches up just a bit.

Extra: Bonus points for the person that can complete the title phrase without Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment